Tubing Selection Guide
In choosing the right tubing for your application there are several factors to consider. Listed below are questions which will help direct you in the selection of the proper Tygon® tubing for your specific application. It is required to test tubing under the actual service conditions prior to specifying a particular tubing formulation. If field testing is not practical, laboratory tests that simulate field conditions must be employed.
If you would like assistance in selecting your tubing, we also offer Material Selection Services to help you find the best solution.
- What fluid(s) is to be transported?
- What range of temperatures will the tubing be subjected to?
- What is the maximum line pressure or vacuum?
- Are specific dimensional tolerances required?
- What degree of tubing flexibility is desired?
- What are the conditions of the ambient environment?
- Is there a minimum bend radius required?
- Is clarity of tubing important?
- What regulatory documentation is needed? (i.e., FDA, ISO 10993, USP, etc.)
- What method(s) of cleaning and/or sterilization are to be utilized?
- Is resistance to flexural fatigue or abrasion important?
- Is particle spallation of tubing a concern while used in a peristaltic pump?
- Will the level of extractability affect the transported fluid?
- Will any fluid loss or alteration through sorption (adsorption/absorption) affect your final results?
- Is disposal of contaminated tubing an issue?
- Will particle entrapment resulting in increased risk of bacterial growth be a concern?